Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pick Up Day







Today was a great and long day. I got to the barn at 3AM and Jill was in the truck with the trailer hitched and ready to go. We got to the pick up facility at 9:30 AM as planned. While there we met two other trainers and Patty Colbert. Dena Plendl and her family were loaded and ready to return to Iowa. We took some pics and had a little time to visit. After loading we met Mark Burnett from IN who was there to pick up his horse, and was the next in line to load. It was great to meet some trainers and put smiles and personalities to names. We took plenty of pictures. It was lots of fun, even thought I was repeatedly informed about the impending Packer loss throughout it, FYI Packers 42 Seahawks 20. We be coming for your Colts and Cowboys next :) OK....back to the subject of the day....I got a 4 yr old bay mare who was loaded within two minutes. Thank You to the hands who were there to do the haltering and loading. Everything was very quick and smooth, it actually went so fast that we missed the loading with the video camera. We get a video of the recreation at home in the next week.My first impression of my horse was only "how did she manage to cover her entire body from the tip of her nostrils to the tip of her tail with what must be at least 20 lbs of mud". We learned in the truck on the way home that she has white of three of her feet. I told Jill we must have received the wrong horse, because I didn't see a white hair anywhere on her entire body. Actually her coggins says she has two white feet, I wonder how they missed one?Overall the trip was smooth, except for one missed turn which routed us through the center of Chicago. We arrived home at 4:15PM and unloaded in the indoor. Fellow boarders Tammy and Cherish and Jill's husband David were all awaiting our arrival with cameras and a plan. Jill brought her reliable Arabian Mare, Sabrina, into the indoor to give some comfort to the new arrival. We let the mare check out her new home for a few minutes before letting Sabrina and Jill lead the way out of the indoor to her new extra large stall where she will spend the next few days while she settles in. We have decided to name her Signature and will call her Sign. We actually picked out the name a few weeks earlier and it fits her well. There will be more to follow on that later.....When I left the barn, Sign was quietly standing in her stall and looking very relaxed. Tomorrow will bring a new adventure.Unfortunately on my way home from the barn, a large buck attempted to cross the road in front of me. He didn't make it as I'm sure we both hoped for. He landed on my hood, leaving lots of dents, and then bounced off my roof to the road. Instantly it looked to me like he had two broken front legs as he tried to run off the road down toward the creek. I called Jill and David and Cherish and her husband Jeff. The buck was lying down by the creek when everyone arrived. However he managed to move enough to keep his distance from the Sheriff. So, now I have a damaged car and no buck. But I was lucky to be unharmed and safe. I guess I should have at least pulled my camera out to continue the documentation of the day.Look for pictures soon.