Thursday, February 21, 2008

56 Days Remaining

Sorry I haven't posted much lately. I have been basically doing more of the same every day with definite forward progress. Sign is getting more cadence/consistent rhythm to her gaits. The canter is still quick, but she is getting more consistent and relaxed in that gait also. She does relax the most during the canter letting out large "snorts" while dropping her head and stretching over her back. She has a great stop, sometimes too good. I get the brakes more often then I ask for them, or at least mean to. When I slightly pick up the reins, she sits down, stops, and steps back. I think it is her favorite transition and she offers it as much as she can justify.

She does constantly "work" the bit. I will get the vet/dentist out very soon to get her teeth done and hopefully that will quiet her mouth. I also need to take the time to switch out the "squeaky" bit which is getting annoying. It does however provide some "music and rhythm" while we ride, if you want to look for any benefits of a squeaky bit. I never knew I had such a squeaky bit in my collection....thanks Sign for bringing it to my attention.

I did clip her on Tuesday night. It was a good alternative to riding in the single digits. Sign is most protective of her head/face. She would also rather her ears not be touched. I put the "Karla twitch" on her lip. I call it that because Karla showed it to me last summer. Actually another fellow boarder of mine when I lived in Madison, Maria had shown it to Karla. Maria was clipping her 2 yr old colt and couldn't get the clamp/twitch on his upper lip, which I'm sure most of us have experienced or at least seen. So, to get the clamp on him she just put it on his bottom lip, and she discovered it worked much better at calming him. It works very well with most horses I have used it on. It is a cheap plastic clamp, bought in bag of of many sizes at Wal-Mart for a few bucks. I think it is called a wood clamp? I grasp the lower lip and add clamp. It works great on horses that are a little fussy; I don't know that it will calm a horse with more deep issues like fear or aggression. That requires more time, patience and the correct approach.

I had clipped Sign 2x previously with nothing other that a halter. That is when I clipped her freeze brand, which she was perfect for. I also did her bridle path which she "tolerated" but she really does not like the feel of the clippers under her chin (I got some done) and really hates it on her muzzle. I wanted to give her as much opportunity to get it done without any "restraint". She is not afraid of the clippers at all; I can rub them all over her entire body. She only becomes resistant when I start the actual cutting of the hair anywhere on her head. The clamp helped her stay calm while I did her entire jowl and most of her muzzle. There is still some to do, but I have plenty of time. I also did her front fetlocks before my clippers started to "drag". She has almost as much feather as a Clydesdale. I will get it her all pretty before MWHF.

I did reveal two old scars under her left jowl. It looks like she has a big injury there at one time. Her legs are very clean and tight and show no blemishes at all.

This weekend will be some R&R for both of us. Sign has been going out with the mare group in the pasture/snow field every day. At first she was a total outcast. The herd would all stay together and Sign would go to the other end and stand alone by the gelding pasture. Now it is turning and Sign is becoming the “leader” of the mares and the “keeper of the gate”. She does love to go outside and have some freedom. This weekend will be good for her to have a break and be ready for a new week on Monday. I will also feel better to get out of the cold for a few days and enjoy some warmer temps.