Monday, March 3, 2008

What a great weekend!

It was a great weekend in many ways. The weather was great. It was in the 40’s all weekend with lots of sunshine. Sunday night, the temp was still 52 degrees. Today….it’s snowing L

The dentist came and did most of the horses in the barn on Saturday. Sign had one wolf tooth removed. Tracy also had him look at her mare and remove four caps. Three trainers (Jessie, Jessi, and Tracy) in the challenge came to the first “mustang play day”. It was awesome to meet the three trainers. I am truly looking forward to more “mustang play days”. To me, the best part of the challenge, (of which there are many) is meeting people I may never have had the opportunity to know.

On Sunday Johnny Buser came to work with some of the horses in the barn. I had him work with Sign. She is still very apprehensive of people. I have gained lots of trust from her, but she still have very little for other people. So it was good to have other people work with her this weekend including Jessie’s friend Audrey who rode her on Saturday and Johnny on Sunday. I plan to continue exposing her to humans as much as possible. I have no intentions of bidding on her after the competition. I already own one horse and he is all I can fit into my budget. So, Sign will go to a new home and I want her to be as well prepared for that as possible in the next few weeks.

I also got in touch with Lalo Govea who is in the challenge. His keeps his horse less than 10 miles from Signature Arabians. He brought his gelding, Elvis, over on Sunday. We took both horses out on a great trail ride. It was so nice to be out in the sunshine. Both horses were perfect. It was the first outside ride for both. The snow was pretty deep in some places but the horses didn’t mind. My corgi, Yogi, followed us all the way out, but got pretty tired from going through the deep snow (his legs are very short). So I got off and handed him to Lalo, and he carried him halfway back to give him a little rest. Elvis didn’t mind the extra passenger at all.

This coming Friday evening (3/7/08), Lalo is having a clinic at the facility where he boards. I am going to take Sign for her first “off farm” trip. He has also invited any other challenge trainers who would like to join in. He will have lots of obstacles set up and other horses from his barn will be participating. Just get in touch with me or him if you would like to come, so he may plan ahead. Signature Arabians will also host any trainers and their horses that may want to stay overnight, since it will probably last until 10PM on Friday. They have an apartment in the barn available with two bunk beds.

I promise to get pictures of the weekend posted in the next few days.