Friday, March 7, 2008

First Off Farm Trip

I took Sign to her first trip off the farm tonight. I went to the barn where Lalo Govea trains out of. Sign was great. She was a little cautious for the first five minutes, but once I got on her she got more confident and did everything I asked. I rode her over tarps, through tarps, around barrels and poles and in lots of traffic. Lalo had everyone participate in "races". There were about 10 horses in the indoor at a time. We had pole bending and barrel races all at the trot. Sign was the "champion" with her pony trot. I really think she is a natural at the barrels. Every time I would canter her past one she wanted to turn around it. She gets pretty low when she turns the barrels. I will have to keep her away from them from now on or she will be dropping her shoulder at every turn. I did get the first "buck" from her tonight. After the last barrel I opened her up and she gave the most non-existent buck possible. It was there, but she is always in control of her "emotions" (just like a cat....I swear she used to be one in some other life).

I did feel more of a bond with her tonight then I have so far. I was a good feeling to know she has gained lots of trust in me over the last 6 weeks and did what I asked in a new environment and was always "asking" me the next question. I think that is a strong mare trait, if you take the time to develop a bond with them they will try their heart out for you. It may take more time and patience in the beginning, but the result is worth the investment.

This weekend I am going to try to get a trail ride or another off farm trip in. It is going to be cold, especially on Saturday, so we will see how it turns out.